Friday, March 21, 2014

March Grocery Haul and Pantry Organization

Lisa and I did our big, monthly shopping trip Tuesday. We also worked in a business lunch and afternoon tea to celebrate a dear relative's 80th birthday. It was a full day but lots of fun.

Here is a picture of my grocery haul:

Untitled

We got to town around 8 p.m. and David met me for dinner. We didn't get home until nearly 10 p.m. so I just stuffed everything away as quickly as possible. Wednesday I decided to get it all organized. My pantry was sorely in need of help:

Untitled
Upper cabinet of pantry (before)

Untitled
Lower pantry cabinet - top drawer (before)


Untitled
(before)

I took everything out, wiped out the shelves, tossed the expired stuff and reorganized. Doesn't this look better?:

Untitled

The bottom drawer/pullout is where I keep various dried beans, peas, some baking supplies in jars. 

Untitled

The top drawer/pullout holds crackers, rice and various pasta/noodles:

Untitled

While I was in the mood, I went ahead and cleaned out the spice cabinet, too. I wish I had done so before this shopping trip. If I had, I wouldn't have bought more lemon pepper but I would have bought basil. At least now I know what I have.

Untitled

As you can see, our fridge is full!

Untitled

Here is the list of what I bought:

Homeland:
  • organic baby spinach
  • organic spring greens
  • red pepper jelly
  • Hellman's mayonnaise
  • Bonne Maman cherry preserves
  • Bonne Maman apricot preserves
  • Allegra (my allergies are in full force!)
Total: $30.41

Dodson's:
  • raw honey
  • multigrain squarefuls cereal
  • blueberry walnut cereal
  • whole O's cereal
  • artichoke hearts
  • rice
  • coconut milk creamer (4)
  • cream cheese (2)
  • crackers (2)
  • Tillamook sharp cheddar
  • sweet red chili sauce
  • fish sauce
  • red curry paste
  • stir fry noodles
  • diced green chilies (2)
  • non fat dried milk
  • dark chocolate raspberry orange candy bar
  • dark chocolate coconut cream candy bar
  • garlic 
Total: $96.60

Natural Grocers:
  • bananas
  • carrots 5#
  • Applegate Farms breakfast sausage links
  • greeting cards (2)
  • liquid lecithin
  • ice
  • sharp cheddar (2)
  • colby cheese (4)
  • muenster cheese (2)
  • pepper jack cheese (1)
  • mozzarella (1)
  • maraschino cherries
Total: $74.40

Whole Foods:
  • garlic salt (bulk)
  • course black pepper (bulk)
  • lemon pepper (bulk)
  • Herbes de Provence (bulk)
  • sparkling lime water (for ride home)
  • San Pellegrino water (2)
  • flour tortillas (2)
  • dried cranberries
  • cookies
  • cappellini past (2)
  • ketchup
  • honey puffs cereal
  • marshmallow oaties cereal
  • raisin bran (3)
  • hand soap refill
  • bar soap (patchouli)
  • sliced ham
  • sliced colby cheese
  • pork chops
  • baguette
  • bananas
  • satsumas
  • aged cheddar
  • pastry
  • lemon
  • lime
  • onions
  • artichokes 
  • zucchini
  • iceberg lettuce
  • red bell peppers
  • green bell peppers
  • cabbage
  • asparagus
  • tomatoes
  • russet potatoes 
  • butter
Total: $155.63

Oklahoma Food Coop:
  • eggs (1 dozen)
  • cheese
  • free range whole chicken
Total: $36.67

Azure Standard (will pick up next week):
  • chicken broth - 32 oz. (4)
  • chicken broth - 8 oz. (package of 4)
  • bulk coconut (2.5 pounds)
  • 5 gallon plastic pail and gamma lid (for food storage)
  • raisins (1 pound)
  • brown sugar
  • organic flour (10 pounds)
  • powdered chicken flavored broth
  • potatoes (5#)
Total: $66.89

Grand Total: $460.60

That total seemed high until I remembered that I hadn't done a monthly shop since the first part of January. We will be in New Orleans 11 days in April so I won't shop again until May. Plus, I really need to start using up the food in my freezer in order to have room to put up summer produce. 

2 comments:

  1. Few things prettier to my eyes than a full, organized pantry. Good job! I always find it interesting to see what people put into there shopping cart. LOL. I enjoyed your post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm exactly the same way. Glad to know others are nosy, er, curious too!

      Delete

"Be good. But if you can't be good, be interesting."